Sunday 19 September 2010

Pretty as a Daisy

I've got something I'd really like to show you. Feels like I'm a school-girl again and it's my turn for show-and-tell and I'm feeling really excited about it. Crochet does that to me. :-)

It's this lovely, tricky (well, tricky for me!), very grooooovy daisy square!

(this one was not made by me - details below the photo)
first daisy crochet square

Let me tell you about this funky, free pattern and the great project going on behind it.

The pattern is available from Krochet Krystal. Krystal has a really cool idea. She will share the pattern with you for
FREE! (You just need to register with her and then she'll send all the info to you).

There's just one, simple condition:
you need to make her a square, using her pattern, and then send that square back to her.

And what does she do with all these daisies, being sent to her in exchange for her pattern, from people all over the world?

She makes them into blankets and donates them to worthy charities.

Like this one:


It's an honesty system, basically. In a world-gone-mad, full of accountabitily and lawsuits, there is someone out there still working on the idea of goodwill.

Makes me feel good inside, knowing that. And, as I am an honest person (really!), I fully intend to complete my end of the bargain.

Only problem: I didn't know until I got the pattern that she wants you to use worsted weight yarn. And I have so little of that kind of yarn! It's hard to find in Oz. But it gives me a great excuse to go yarn shopping, doesn't it? ;-)

In the meantime, I made this one with some of my left-over Patons Smoothie yarn, the yarn I used in the Event Plaid blanket. Pretty, isn't it?

I found the pattern quite tricky at times, but I think I've got it right. Good practice for the one that I'll send her.

This is going to become part of a new project. A small-ish, spur-of-the-moment project. These don't often happen to me - I'm normally planning and budgeting carefully for some time, thinking about the costs and amount of yarn, etc, etc. But because this is now officially stash yarn, I can go with the flow a bit more. It's nice. I'm liking it. :-)

So, if you are interested in the pattern, or are interested in Krystal's charity work, head on over to Krystal's blog. By making her a square, you get the pattern, and you get to help a good cause at the same time.

Of course you can do more than one square, if you like. But one square is all that Krysal asks for. That's it. Then the pattern is yours to use and enjoy forever.

Let me know if any of you give it a go. I'd love to see your daisies and hear what you think about the pattern.

Til next time,
Happy hooking,
Caz :)

P.S. Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone that commented on my Event Plaid blanket. I'm so pleased with the finished result and it's great to read that you guys like it, too. I love reading your comments; they really make my day. :)

13 comments:

  1. Lovely indeed. Quite contemporary too. I am doing the same for a charity here in the uk http://sunshineinternationalblanketsoflove.blogspot.com/ if you fancy a look. Its such a good idea you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet daisy, and a really good idea, very much like the SIBOL project xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They ARE pretty, aren't they? :-) Yes, I know Mrs Twins and the SIBOL project well - another great on-going project. Both worth considering if you are looking to contribute to a charity. Thanks for providing SIBOL's link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea. I wish I had the confidence to do it but it might have to wait a while. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caz, I have been looking and looking at this project for about 6 months now - just abit iffy about working the pattern - I really don't want something fiddly and I want to make it as a baby blanket, so I loved your input about working it
    I have been with SIBOL since its inception and also Knit4Charities for over a year - at least with the K4C its Australian and I get to make anything cause there is always a charity for it eventually ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry Caz OF COURSE you know about SIBOL. I forget where I have met people. It must be my age. Made the flower and am completely in love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pattern. Love your colour choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Caz, must have missed this post somehow...glad i caught it now though.

    What a cute little daisy and what a fab idea. Some people are so good...the thought of all that joining together would fill me with dispair!

    So, tell us, what's next on your hooky plan??

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Just found you by the comment you left on Sue's blog at The Qunice Tree, and I'm mighty glad I have.

    I only learnt to crochet at the end of July this year (still learning) and seeing all you've done since last year is inspiring. I just love your event plaid and if I can do anything on that level I'll be well chuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a cool charity she is running! Her finished blanket is just lovely! Your daisy square is perfectly hooked! Lovely!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Caz;

    Lovely blog you have en what wonderful creations !!!
    I like your event plaid blanket that you've made for your sister. Great job !!! IT'S FANTASTIC !!!!
    Your daisy square is perfectly made !
    I'll be back for more :) and become follower.
    Hopefully you can read my 'english' ! ?

    grts, Susie ( from Belgium )

    ReplyDelete