Sunday 26 December 2010

My First Ever Cable


I got this magazine for Christmas yesterday. Yes, it's summer here, but we still get the Northern Hemisphere magazines... complete with winter patterns... :-)

No matter! They are still interesting and chock-full of ideas. I love reading through crochet magazines - I learn so much!

So, on Christmas night, with all the fun and festivities winding down, I decided to give this pattern a go. I (almost) finished the first glove that night.


I am really pleased with the cable part of the pattern. Normally I feel too daunted to attempt such complicated-looking projects, but being a small item I decided to take the plunge.

It seemed a little tricky at first, but once I saw what the pattern was asking me to do, it all made sense. I Never Knew how cable designs "worked" - how they reveal themselves as you stitch along - but now I do. And it's not that difficult at all!

The stash yarn I used, with its coloured flecks, takes away from the texture of the work a little, but I still think it looks nice.

I was so excited that I couldn't wait to share it with you and I got photos up on here as soon as I could! :-)

Not that I'll be wearing these, though... maybe I can send them to one of my friends living in the UK or Europe - it's cold enough there at the moment!

Since I last posted, I have been really busy at work and then my holidays began. Since then I have been busy with Christmas and family time, and I have found only a little bit of time to crochet, and no time to blog! I have been trying to keep up with reading all my favourite blogs, though, but can't seem to find the time to create posts of my own.

I am trying to finish some WIPs that have been lingering for a little too long. I'm losing interest but I really want to persevere and finish them; I've told myself that I can't start anything else until they are done!


Except for these mitts, mind you! ;-)

Anyway, I do have some crochet to share with you, and I can't wait to do so. Just a matter of finding the time in this busy, festive time of year. Our home is full of visitors at the moment - this is a very family-oriented time for us - it's lovely but busy!

Will share my other projects with you just as soon as I can.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and are enjoying the festive season. Hope you all find some time to crochet amongst it all!

Caz :)

14 comments:

  1. Glad to see all is fine with you and that you are still busy with your crochet. The cabling is beautiful. Wishing you a wonderful New Year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first cable looks perfect! I'm glad you got back to crochet! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caz, love your wristwarmers, I think the yarn you used looks great . Cabling is not something I've ever tried...maybe 2011 will be the year :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job - love the pattern. Might just have to go looking for the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cables.
    Heel goed gedaan!

    Je Nederlands is heel goed geschreven, mijn complimenten daarvoor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness me! I didn't even know you COULD do cables in crochet! One of my new year craft resolutions is to knit some mitts with a cable pattern, so I am very inspired by yours!
    Have a lovely time with your family and looking forward to seeing more beautiful crochet goodness in the new year!!!
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dank je wel, Karin! :-)

    Alice - check out this beautiful crochet cable pattern - and it's FREE!

    http://yarnroundhook.blogspot.com/2010/11/crochet-cable-pattern.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! They are fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you and yours a very happy new year filled with blessings of peace, joy and love. I love crochet but am always daunted with patterns that change up too much. I've never done a cable, but might have to give it a go at some point. Starting small is always a good idea. I look forward to seeing more of your creations. all the best, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue, Glad you liked the cables!

    Thanks for your concern regarding the floods. Yes, they are really bad and very widespread, but, fortunately, they have missed our area.

    I heard today that the area affected by flooding (across Queensland and New South Wales) is as big as France and Germany combined!

    Happy New Year to you as well,
    Caz :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Caz,

    i wish you and your Family a Happy New Year 2011 and i want to give you the Stylish Blogger Award. Please come to take it from my Blog!

    Enjoy your Day and i send you many Greetings,

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!
    ~X~ Karin

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I get the other side of the coin - I live in England and subscribe to Australian Homespun and Handmade - full of Spring and Summer designs when it's snowing outside.

    ReplyDelete